The MacArthur Chronical reports that one of Campbelltown’s most historic cemeteries will be better protected thanks to the completion of security improvements around the site. The cemetery, controlled by St Peter’s Anglican Church in Howe St, recently had the perimeter fencing replaced thanks to a $44,000 Federal Government grant.

The Anglican cemetery was  established in 1820.  

The first burial was that of Sarah Smith, a child, in September, 1822, but there are no headstones marking the very early graves.

Notable citizens interred there include pioneer John Warby, Australia’s first millionaire James Tyson and Thomas Reddall, St Peters’ first minister and members of his family.

Source: MacArthur Chronicle Campbelltown