Grieving families are increasingly being taken advantage of when planning a funeral. The number of complaints to NSW Fair Trading has jumped to record levels. From January 2013 to July 2018, Fair Trading received 175 complaints about funeral services. ***
This prompted the NSW government to warn consumers they should know their rights when choosing a funeral package to avoid dodgy operators who don’t clearly disclose fees and charges.
Families should follow these Fair Trading tips: Ask about a basic funeral package; Consider a financial arrangement such as a funeral bond or funeral insurance; Pre-purchase the grave site if you intend to be buried; Talk to your family and friends during the process; Seek comparative quotes with a full breakdown of services.
The majority of funeral businesses are honest and hardworking, but a few rogue operators try to take advantage of people in mourning.
- In 2016 there were ~50,000 deaths in New South Wales
- Between 2013 and 2015 (5 years) Fair Trading NSW reported 175 complaints about funerals
- During the same period there would have been ~250,000 deaths (funerals).
- That's about 1 complaint for every 1,428 funerals
- In percentage terms it's 0.0007%
We agree one complaint is one too many.