A REGIONAL council is offering up to $10,000 to catch the culprits who desecrated nearly 40 headstones in a callous and unwarranted attack at a South Australian Mid North cemetery.
Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council agreed to offer a cash reward for information from the public that leads to an arrest and conviction for the vandalism, on November 3.
The Clare Valley community was in disbelief when it learnt 36 headstones and memorials had been smashed or pushed over, in an attack labelled at the time as “barbarous” by Mayor Allan Aughey.
The council’s government and community manager, Leanne Kunoth, told the Advertiser catching those responsible was a “high priority”.
“This is the first time the council has offered a reward and we’re working closely with the police to get a result for the community,” she said.