- Category: General News
Minister for Primary Industries Katrina Hodgkinson today said the NSW Liberals & Nationals Government’s commitment (sic) to cemetery reform has been reaffirmed by the commencement of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2013 on 1 November 2014:
• The Cemeteries and Crematoria Act commenced on 1 November 2014
• The Act has allowed for the creation of Cemeteries and Crematoria NSW, which is now responsible for strategic and regulatory oversight of all cemeteries and crematoria in NSW, both public and private
• The new body will be directed by an independent board, with former NSW Community Relations Commission Chair, Stepan Kerkyasharian AO, appointed as the inaugural Chair.
• The board will set policies and future directions for all cemeteries and will have oversight of new and consistent rules for cemetery operators
• One of the board's first priorities will be to identify future burial land to cater for the growing population of metropolitan Sydney to overcome diminishing land supply
• The board is appointed for a four-year term, with 4 voting members and six non-voting members appointed.
To read the full Press Release, please see the attached.