It's the final resting place for thousands of South Australians, but the historic West Terrace Cemetery has also been responsible for several firsts in its 175 years of operation.
It was the first cemetery in the state, established just six weeks after the proclamation was read at Glenelg in December 1836.
In 1920 the first Australian Imperial Forces Cemetery in the Commonwealth was opened in the south western corner along with the first Cross of Sacrifice in an Australian cemetery.
There are 4,155 defence force personnel buried in the lawn complex including four recipients of the Victoria Cross.
The West Terrace Cemetery also pioneered cremation in Australia, opening the first modern crematorium in the southern hemisphere in 1903.