As you may be aware, the Cemeteries and Crematoria Association of NSW (CCA) had submitted proposals to Standards Australia to review:
- AS 4425-1996 Above ground burial structures
- AS 4204-1994 Headstones and cemetery monuments.
We are pleased to advise that Standards Australia have accepted the proposals.
Standards Australia have advised that:
- At project commencement, Standards Australia will convene a kick-off meeting of the responsible committee to finalise the timeframe, scope, and roles and responsibility of members;
- All approved projects must be completed within a set timeframe, starting from the kick-off meeting. This timeframe is established by Standards Australia on the basis of project complexity, as agreed through the kick-off process;
- The progress of the projects will be monitored to ensure targets are met on time and resources are fairly and effectively utilised.
This review is very timely. Over the weekend (26 November 2016), a young girl was killed from injuries sustained when a war memorial fell on top of her. Further information on the tragic accident can be found on the CCA News Site.
The current standards date back to 1994. They are worthy of review. The CCA looks forward to working with its industry partners, communities, service clubs and Standards Australia to evolve a new monument construction standard for the 21st Century.
If your require further information please contact the CCA Secretary, Mary Reid.